Sunday, August 5, 2012

7th Anniversary in Helen, GA

Ever since we moved here I have heard of this cute little German town called Helen. It reminded me a lot of Leavenworth. Jeff surprised me Saturday morning, the day before our anniversary and said to pack because we were staying in a hotel for our anniversary. It was perfect timing because Jeff's parents were staying here and so they watched the girls. Neither of us had ever been there so it was a good little adventure for us!
I was reading the 2nd Hunger Games book, Catching Fire, and I finished reading it on the trip. I tried to make sure I wasn't being too obsessed with reading though. When we got there we checked in to our hotel and then walked around and got dinner at this little Mexican place. I love that whenever you are in a touristy area where food is extremely overpriced, you can always count on Mexican food to deliver in being affordable and filling. 
After we ate dinner we got some candy at some shops and then headed back to our room. On the way back to our room we saw these guys with a sign that said something like "Gays are going to hell." We stopped to watch the guys talking to people. They were very confrontational, but I asked them what they were trying to accomplish with the sign... I mean, do they really think a gay person is going to walk down the street, see the sign and think, oh I better change my ways? It just gave me the sickest feeling seeing the sign and imagining if I was a gay person, how scary it would feel to see that sign somewhere and the people filled with such hate. 
The guys really just wanted to bible bash and started giving us all these verses about how God hates people and God hates gay people. It was so sad because they had this opposite perception of God that he was hateful and that Jesus was not forgiving, the opposite of the truth! Jeff got into a bit of an altercation with them, but managed to keep his cool. We finally walked away, but there were several people getting frustrated with them. It was funny though, because Jeff was wearing a striped shirt, he was probably easy to recognize, because like 3 people came up to him and were like telling him good job standing up to the guy and that he was right, etc. It was kind of funny, but we decided, next time we see crazies we will silently observe and not get sucked in! I just always feel so obligated to stand up for what is right! 
Anyway... on to the rest of our vacation... the next day we slept in, then ate our leftover dinner as a brunch and headed out to tube down the river. It was so much fun and on the way home we got ice cream cones and then stopped by a fruit stand to get some peaches.
It was a fabulous anniversary and we had kind of a joke the whole trip I would look at Jeff and say "7 years." At first it started out to be sweet, but then we were saying it all creepy like... think of Better off Dead, "I want my two dollars." hahah... 7 years really has flown by and I just feel so incredibly blessed, because really, I am living the life I always pictured and dreamed of and most of that is thanks to the man I chose to spend eternity with!!

Here are the pictures:

The river we tubed down the next day:


Our awesome little hotel room that Jeff surprised me with A heart shaped hot tub in the room, so romantic! hehe:)
 Fire with a tv above:
 Our room was under the windmill! So cute!
 Hotel from a distance:
 Eating breakfast the next morning with the hotel in the background:
 Walking around... they always had these weird people in the square doing some sort of thing. This guy was frozen, but he came to life when you put money in his pot he would play this little routine like a wind up toy and then go stiff again. It was pretty creepy funny.

I just threw in another random picture of one of our Friday Night Date Nights... We only have about 2 months left of them:( We switched gyms and now we have a gym that is half the price but they don't have date nights for kids under 4... boo:(

2 comments:

christine said...

that little place looks so cute!! love the heart shaped tub!!! :)

Kristen said...

Happy Anniversary! That place looks cute! does look like Leavenworth!