Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cheyenne Stacey Bennum


Sorry it has taken me so long to post these pictures... it has been quite an adjustment bringing this little girl home! I felt great when we got home, but it seems Cheyenne is confused between night and day and I have gotten no sleep two nights in a row.  Since I am breast feeding, it is very hard to sleep during the day as well.  I just get a little nap here and there whenever I can.  I feel bad, because I have had so many friends and family calling to talk and I thought I would want to, but I am just so tired I haven't wanted to talk or see anyone but my little Cheyenne.  I am sure I will soon adjust and be back to a normal routine, but for now I am just trying to enjoy every minute.
So Monday night we went in to the hospital to be induced.  I was so so nervous all day and I probably would have backed out of being induced if my mom and sister weren't flying in for the occasion.  Jeff gave me a blessing before we left and it helped to calm me a little.  When I packed for the hospital I had a huge bag of stuff to do to keep me busy, but we never even used any of it.  They inserted the cervadil that night and sometime in the morning I started having small contractions.  Even though they were small, they were very painful and I was pacing around the room in pain.  I called the nurse and told her I was in pain, but she said it was probably because I had never had period cramps before I probably wasn't used to the pain.  So feeling like a big wimp I just continued to pace and breathe and do anything to not think of the pain.  At 7 am I got a new nurse and she came in ask how I was doing.  I started crying and told her that I had been better, haha.  She moved me into the delivery room and said I should have told someone that I was hurting and she gave me some amazing medicine through the IV.  That is also when she started the pitocin.  The night before when I got the cervadil I was dilated to a 1 and 60% effaced. The doctor checked me in the morning and I was dilated to a 3.  The contractions started to get worse after I got the pitocin so I requested the epidural.  It took the nurse anesthesist 45 minutes to get there and those were the worst 45 minutes of the whole labor, which is a good thing.  Jeff did a really good job of helping me through it, holding my hand and I told him to be my little coach, haha.  He thought of some good ideas to distract me from the pain.  My mom and sister got to the hospital about 15 minutes before I got the epidural and I started to cry when they got there because I was so happy that they could come.  They helped me through the final contractions and then I got the epidural and that was amazing.  Then I asked my sister if she could braid my hair, she always used to for me for my track races in high school.  Then it was great because we just waited and I felt so relaxed.  I did have a small hotspot on the left side of my abdomen but the pain was so much less than the contractions before it was no big deal.  It was such a weird feeling not being able to move my legs, but I was so glad I got the epidural.  My sister does her births naturally and I don't know how she does it!  The doctor came in again around noon and I had already dilated to a 7 so they said to check me again at 3 pm.  Tanya (our nurse we had most of the time, who was awesome) came to check the baby's heart rate and stuff around 2:45 and she couldn't find it so she decided to go ahead and check me and she could see Cheyenne's head, she asked if I wanted to feel it and I reached down and could feel the top of her head, it was so crazy! So, she hurried and called Dr. White who was still at his office seeing patients.  They got me all ready to push and she said if he doesn't come we may have a baby sitting here on the table! When he got there he told me to push and it was so weird because since I was numb I couldn't tell if I was pushing or not.  I must have been because he kept telling me to stop.  He was going to cut a little but I am glad he did not.  I only had a small tear to stitch up.  When the baby came out it was the best feeling ever! I got to hold her while Jeff cut the umbilical cord.  After they did all the tests I got to breastfeed her for a minute which was a cool experience.  Then Jeff went with the nurses to weigh her and give her a bath.  She was born at 3:04 pm on Tuesday December 2.  She was 7lbs 5 1/2 oz and 20" long.  She has already been such a blessing to our lives and it makes me love Jeff so much more to have this beautiful little daughter together.  If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change anything about my labor experience.  It feels so good to not be pregnant anymore and breastfeeding is getting better and better and less and less painful by the day.  This has been the most wonderful experience of my life, and I thank God for it every minute!  I am so thankful to all my friends and family for the love, support and prayers:)

20 comments:

Cicely said...

Congrats my friend! You are a mother! Oh, and get used to not sleeping. Don't worry, after a month or so- you sort of get used to it.

Loves!

Tiffany said...

Congratulations Stacey!! She is absolutely beautiful! I'm glad the experience was a good one. I hope little Cheyenne figures out this day/night thing soon! I hope things continue to go well, and I look forward to seeing more pictures of her!!

Brittany Slesk said...

Yeah Stacey!!! You did it and she is so precious. I will call you soon to say hi, but I will give you a little while to adjust and get into your routine. It takes a while as it is quite a change, but the best change. Tell Jeff congrats! We love you guys!

Delahunty Family said...

Congratulations! She is such a beautiful baby! I'm so excited for you guys!

Ali H. said...

Congrats! She is Beautiful! I want a little one too! Im so glad everything went well!

Natasha Holmquist said...

Ohh you guys! She's beautiful! Congratulations! I loved reading about your labor/birth, and i'm glad it was a positive experience for you :) Have fun with your new sweet one! Love you!

Natasha Holmquist said...

p.s. She looks like she has Jeffs nose and lips! :)

carolyn said...

Congrats Stacey. I've been looking at your blog daily for 2 weeks waiting for the news. She looks like a Slesk. Enjoy her, she will grow fast.

Love, Carolyn
ps. What does this make Shane?

Peter and Lesha said...

Congrats Jeff and Stacey she is very very cute. I feel for ya girl on the no sleep but it does get better (can't believe I am saying that I never thought I would) but it really does and you sound like you are just enjoying every min:) can't wait to see her in person:)

connie and frank said...

Yeah!!! Cheyenne is here. We are so thankful that your experience was positive and happy. Thank you for posting your pictures. We are so happy for you guys. We love you and are excited to come visit you.
love ya
mom and dad bennum

Yates Family said...

Oh Stacey - Just bask in Heaven for it goes so fast! I can still remember when we brought Tristie home and I kept crying because I was so amazed and happy and exhausted! but it was so worth every minute. I love you and miss you and wish I was closer to see you be a mom for the first time. You and Jeff will be wonderful parents. She will wake up smiling to the sunshine every day just like her Mom I know it! Now send me your address so I can send you a gift! :) Love you love you! Hug and kiss your sweet Cheyenne! She's GORGEOUS!!!Love you, Brooke

The Lilly's said...

Conagrats, she is absolutely gorgeous! The best Christmas gift ever!

Megan said...

Congratulations to your family. Cheyenne is a cutie. Hope you get some rest.

Bonnie and Tyler said...

Yay!! We are so happy for you! We have also been waiting to hear. At least you got to walk around, they wouldn't let me move. I had never experienced real menstral cramps either, so 2 hard contractions is all i could handle! She really is beautiful, you did awesome!

Kristen said...

Congrats! She is so beautiful, I am glad everything is going great! It gets better and better every day! Wish I could see you guys in person! Take care! Love you!
Kristen,Kale, Haley and Hannah

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful!

A Woman Who LIVED said...

What a beautiful picture of Cheyenne! I am so happy for you guys...I hope you are taking lots of naps and never feel guilty about not talking to people. They can wait, but you will never have these moments back with your baby! They are gone very quickly...I know everyone says that but it is true!

Johnny and Eirian said...

wow- an amazing story, so glad your mom and sister and jeff were all able to be there to support you! Congratulations!!

Nate and Jacque Holt said...

Oh my goodness, she is absolutely breathtaking!! good work stac! Doesn't it feel so good to go through something like labor?? It's empowering to know you handled it like a champ! Although it was hard...it's totally worth it, and it just gets harder and better from here on out girl!!

Robert and Robyn Anderson said...

Beautiful baby, you are a wonderful Family....Love you
The Robert Anderson family