Wednesday, October 6, 2010

New Doctor

Warning: this is a long rambling, venting post, so don't feel obligated to read it!!

So I am 37 weeks today! Just 3 weeks left until my due date. Craziness. The second pregnancy definitely goes by much faster than the first, although I still feel like I have been pregnant much longer than I have.

Yesterday, I had a routine weekly Dr. appt. I had already been considering switching Doctors from about 12 weeks on, but didn't for many reasons. I didn't want to be one of those high maintenance, hard-to-please and picky people. I thought a Dr. is a Dr. doesn't really matter who it is. I also thought it would be a huge hassle and I didn't want to have to pay another $35 copay, haha, yes I know, I am cheap, but I didn't think it was worth $35. I was worried how switching would work with my insurance company. My main problem was that I felt no connection with the Dr's but I figured I would as I got further along and would see them more.

So I have been having weekly appointments for a while now. My Dr's office has 3 Doctors and you rotate seeing them each time. Which, is the main reason why I probably didn't feel like I knew them very well. So I have no idea how long ago this happened, but one of the Doctors quit and now they only have 2 Drs and apparently more patients than they can handle. Another main reason I had wanted to switch was because the wait was ridiculously long. I would get to my appointment early. Then I would wait about 15-45 minutes in the waiting room and another 15-60 minutes in the office!! I always had Cheyenne with me, which made it even more challenging. Their office is run down and has no kids area and doesn't really feel the cleanest.

Anyway, so the last 3 appointments I haven't even met with one of the Doctors!!! This appointment I had asked specifically to see one of the actual Doctors because I had to talk to them about getting induced and possible dates (I am planning on going over my due date), because I have relatives who need to plan days off work, etc. Anyway, after waiting 15 minutes in the waiting room and 50 minutes in the patient room, I was already beyond annoyed. Then some lady walks in who I have never even seen before. She was a Doctor who was helping them out until they found another Doctor. I understand that was probably necessary, but don't you think the Doctors should make an effort to see the patients they haven't seen for at least a month and are about to deliver their baby at any moment???

I was asking this other Dr. about induction questions and she was just like, no just pick another date. I was so annoyed. I understand that Dr.'s don't like to induce on weekends, but I want to speak to the Dr. that will actually be doing it and have her explain to me why and take the time to talk to me about it instead of saying, "no, just pick another date, " like I hadn't already thought of picking another date.

Anyway, then to top it all off, I got the Strep B test last time and I tested positive for it. I didn't have that last time with Cheyenne and it totally freaked me out. We have some friends who were in the same hospital with us delivering their baby at the same time as us and their baby got Strep and had to be in the hospital for an extra week or two. Plus, I never have anything that they test for, it was stressful to have them tell me I had that, when I was totally not expecting it, and wasn't used to actually having what they do all the tests for! Anyway, so that made me really nervous about the delivery.

When I left the appointment, they scheduled my next appointment with the Nurse Practitioner!!! I love the Nurse Practitioner, she is actually my favorite, as I have seen her more than anyone else, but that does me no good since she won't be there at the birth. I got to the car and I just felt so stressed out. I had the worst feeling about the birth and delivery. It was the worst feeling ever, because I am 37 weeks pregnant, at this point I am really not going to know anyone who delivers my baby...I just started to cry and no one was answering their phone. I probably scared Jeff to death when he got a crying message on his phone asking him to please call me back if he gets a minute!

Finally my sister answered her phone. She told me to just call the new Dr. right away while the experience was fresh in my mind, so that I wouldn't change my mind. I had heard great things about Dr. Sepsei (I have no idea how to spell it). Pretty much every single person at my church goes to him (and there are many pregnant people and people who have recently had babies). My neighbor goes to church with him and I have just heard lots of great things. I figured, if I am not going to know the person, I would at least feel more comfortable with someone who comes highly recommended, whereas the previous office I was at, no one even had heard of them. So I gained control of my emotions and called the new Dr. They were a little hesitant wondering why I would want to switch at 37 weeks, but I told them how I never even get to see my Dr's and I had heard great things about them, etc. They said they would talk to Dr. Sepsei and call me back and let me know.

I was really glad I called right then because about 30 minutes after I called them, I started thinking, "I totally over reacted, it is not that big of a deal, I should just stay, blah blah blah." Dr. Sepsei's office called me back about an hour and a half later and asked if I could come in right then. I was about 15 minutes away on the complete opposite side of town, but I said yes. On the drive over there I was really nervous and wondering if I had done the right thing. I went right in there and the second I walked in I was so glad I did!! It was like an entirely different atmosphere! Not that it is that important, but the other office, was completely run down and kind of gross looking, this one was very well taken care of, it had gorgeous furniture and decorations. It even had a little kids area with an underwater scene painted on the wall, pillows and toys and a movie playing. That was a huge lifesaver, because Cheyenne had already sat through one dr's appointment, storytime at the library, walked around the mall and was now very hungry and very tired and I was out of snacks! But, she was so happy to be in that little room. The receptionist was so nice and understanding.

I met with the Doctor and right off in one appointment, felt completely comfortable with him and all my uncomfortable feelings went away. The whole time I just couldn't stop thinking, "why didn't I do this so long ago???" When I first went in for the appointment with the new Dr. I had to sign a medical release form, so they could get my medical records from the other office. I got 3 calls from the other office while I was in my appointment. After the appointment was over, I thought it was ironic, because who called me?? The nurse practioner!!! Of course! The Doctors don't even know who I am!! I called her back and she was so sad I was leaving, but completely understood. I told her if she could deliver babies I would have stayed. I am just soo soo happy and feel so good about my decision.

The new Dr. said I came at a good time because he usually delivers 20-35 babies a month and this month he had already delivered all of his October babies but 7. So he said he would be very well rested. He is going out of town this weekend but will be in town the rest of the month. I just feel so much relief! Sorry about this long rambling post, but I just wanted to write this down so I would remember and also so that if anyone else ever considers switching Doctors- do it!! Right away!!

8 comments:

Vashti said...

I am so glad that you found a Dr you felt comfortable with. That other place sounds awful! Have you guys decided on a name yet?

Kristen said...

Glad you switched! Sounds like it worked out for the best! Good luck with everything. Now that you are more comfortable with your dr situation you can just relax and wait for your new baby girl!

Megan said...

Good for you! I'm glad you found a great doctor. I'm excited for you too! A baby so soon and this is such a pretty time of year in Georgia.

connie and frank said...

Stacey

I am so glad you changed doctors. I understand your waiting, and sometimes you have to get upset in order to make that change. The feelings you were having guided you to make that change. I am so glad the doctor was so nice and took you right in. Kristen is right, now you can relax and just have little Berkeley, or Savannah.

Amelia said...

I am so glad you were able to get the doctor situation figured out! I hope everything goes as smoothly with this L&D as it did for your last :) Are you planning on going trick-or-treating if you haven't had the baby yet? Can't wait to see Cheyenne all dressed up :) TJ is going to be a dinosaur.

Southern Belle said...

Glad you FINALLY got a new doctor.

Unknown said...

Good job finally making the call! Even if it was an over reaction (which I don't think it was), it led to a necessary action!

April said...

Hey Stacey, I enjoyed reading your post and I can TOTALLY relate to your experience and how you felt because I had one very similar.

When I was pregnant with Paden I had a similar Doc as you had...there were three or four different doctors in the office I wenty to and I never met one of them! There was always a long waite and the nurses were very rude also. I believe it's because they deliver so many babies and have so many births that they never form relationships with their patients. I hated that place and I also switched during my pregnancy. I think I was about 30 weeks along.

I chose to go with a midwife. It was a completely different experience but so so so wonderful!! I'm glad you found someone you like, now you can enjoy these last few weeks of labor.

By the way I am still running a lot but the weight hasn't been "falling off" I've lost about 15 pounds and have another 10-15 to go to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight/size, any suggestions!!
April