Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Atlanta Zoo

Our library has this great program where you go and watch a zoo movie at the library about the history of the Atlanta Zoo and then you get a free family pass to the Atlanta Zoo. It has been there forever and I have been wanting to go for a long time, but we have never had the chance to take advantage of the opportunity. We almost missed out this time too because Jeff got sick on the day we were going to go, but luckily he decided to take a sick day and come with us the next monday (the passes are only good for a week and he was sick on his day off, so that validates taking a sick day, right?) We woke up really early and stopped my McDonalds drive through for breakfast. We got there when the zoo was opening and it was really cold and they said most of the animals wouldn't be out. We were so disappointed but we had driven all the way there and the tickets expired that day, so we just went in anyway. It turned out totally fine, it really warmed up by the afternoon and the animals were mostly all out anyway. I feel like we were dressed to go skiing it was so cold out!

Here we are with the elephants:
The flamingos were so beautiful. I don't think I had ever seen flamingos in real life before. I loved how when they lifted their wings they were all black feathers underneath. They were gorgeous!

Of all the exotic animals we saw, the girls favorite and the ones they pretended to be and the ones they are still talking about are the mole rats! They had an exhibit where you could see the mole rats digging tunnels and it was really warm in the room, then they had all these little tunnels the kids could climb through.
The real mole rats we saw were on top of each other sleeping, so here is Cheyenne pretending to be a sleeping mole rat.

The rest of the time she was trying to crawl around the zoo on her hands and knees saying, "Mom, I am your little mole rat! Say, come on little mole rat!" It was cute at first, but it started to take forever to get anywhere, so we forced her to be Little Girl Cheyenne instead of Little Mole Rat Cheyenne. Then a few weeks later at the library we found a book about a naked mole rat that wanted to wear clothes, so they loved that too.

The girls with the baby elephant statue.

Jeff loved this ape. He kept talking about how he wondered if they got in a fight who would win. The wind blew and that ape was the stinkiest thing I have ever smelled. Like the worst B.O. you have ever smelled x1000!

The girls wanted the mommy bird to get in the nest with them. Cheyenne was telling me to sit on her, when I told her I was not going to actually sit on her, she tried to crawl underneath me! Its from the nursery song about how the mama bird sits on the next to hatch her eggs all three. So funny...

My little lionesses. We watched Lion King as soon as we got home since we saw zazoo (hornbill), Mufasa, Nala, Simba (lions), pumba (warthogs), timon (meerkats) and also giraffes, zebras, and other african animals...

The saddest part of the trip was that I lost my awesome Georgia earrings that my volleyball team got me last year. I loved them and was so excited to wear them to coach my volleyball tournaments this year. One fell out somewhere, so now I only have one:( so sad! I hadn't even worn them to coach in yet!

We had to head home about 1 so that we could make it back in time for Jeff's basketball practice. They also had a really cool Panda exhibit and petting zoo that were favorites. It was a great family outing!

2 comments:

lillie said...

Sounds like a fun day. I haven't been to the ATL zoo yet either. I also thought you were going to say you lost your camera, since I know that has happened to you a lot haha. Sorry about your earrings!

connie and frank said...

Looks like a fun day. Maybe we should go Wednesday when Frank and I are going home?