Sunday, February 5, 2012

Star Crayons



So I have been wanting to do this for a really long time now and finally got around to it the other day. I cut up a bunch of broken crayons and made them into new multi-colored star shaped crayons. Cheyenne and I did it together while Berkeley was napping actually. The down side is that Cheyenne's job was to unpeel any remaining wrappers off the crayons, so now I have found her a few times doing that to good, sharp, new crayons. I LOVE these new star crayons more than either of the kids. I love how I will be drawing with them and all of the sudden they will be a new color, so fun!! It makes me want to keep drawing to see what color will be next (I know I could just look at the crayon to see, but what is the fun in that?) For those who have done this before... how do you get the mold clean? I used a flexible ice cube tray and it now has bits of crayon in it and dried dishwasher soap that is not coming out. I want to get more and more molds and make tons of these crayons, but I doubt I ever will:) That's okay.... it was fun anyway while it lasted.

By the way, you just stick them in the oven on 230 degrees for anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on how deep your mold is.

2 comments:

connie and frank said...

Try baking soda on a damp rag.

My book says you could also try WD-40, wait 10 minutes, then wash with undiluted dishwashing soap. Rinse.

connie and frank said...

oh and by the way, I received a star crayon for Valentine's day from the pre-school:-)